4 square breathing, also known as box breathing is a paced breathing technique that follows a rhythm when taking slow deep breaths. It can heighten performance and concentration while also being a powerful stress reliever. In this exercise, you'll match how long you breathe in with how long you breathe out. Over time, you can increase how long your'e able to breathe in and out at a time.
1. Sit comfortably on the floor or in a chair, making sure your back is straight
2. Gently breathe in through your nose. As you breathe in, count to 4.
3. Pause for the count of 4.
4. Gently breathe out through your nose to the count of 4.
5. Repeat several times.
6. Once you feel comfortable with breaths that last for four counts, increase how long you breathe in and breathe out. You can work up to breaths that last up to 10 counts.